A Victorian legacy

The Newnham College site contains a number of Grade II* and Grade II Listed Buildings and sits within the West Cambridge Conservation Area.

Newnham College was in the unusual and fortunate position to have had a College architect, Basil Champneys, from the first building on the site in 1875 – Newnham Hall now known as Old Hall – to the completion of Peile Hall in 1910. The College’s listed buildings are all those designed by Champneys.

Champneys’ work established the precedent for high quality buildings with positive relationships with their landscape context and set the scene for the character of the College today.

The Champneys Buildings

Basil Champneys was Newnham’s architect from 1873 to 1913. During that period, the College grew from the original building “Newnham Hall” to a total of six major buildings, plus the…

Read More

Other Principal Buildings

The College campus comprises its set of historic Champneys Buildings and several other principal buildings which surround the northern (Sidgwick Avenue) end of the gardens and extend along Newnham Walk.…

Read More

New Build

Newnham College is planning to replace the 1968 Strachey Building and to create a new entrance to the College along Sidgwick Avenue.

Read More