TED, standing for Technology, Entertainment and Design, is an organisation devoted to ideas worth spreading on all topics – from science and business to global issues, art, philosophy and music – usually in the form of short, powerful talks and performances. TEDx is the platform for TED-like community events and the TEDxNewnham will be a day of short inspirational presentations, around the theme of ‘Embracing Challenge’, to an audience at Newnham. The day will also be live streamed.
We have five key aims for TEDxNewnham:
- To connect the College, its Fellows, students and alumnae with each other and with the wider Newnham community.
- To celebrate the talents, experiences and ambitions of all those associated with Newnham.
- To build on the College’s legacy of outreach.
- To inspire discussion and promote change through the power of ideas to alter attitudes and lives.
- To create a resource: a searchable online archive for teaching, research, inspiration and community-building.
- I would like to come to TEDxNewnham. Unfortunately we are now full subscribed for audience places at TEDxNewnham. See below for details of events going on in your area, or information about hosting your own.
- I can’t get to TEDxNewnham in person: can I still get involved? Absolutely!
- Click here to see information about events that people are hosting locally, either by livestreaming on the day or after the videos go up online. We will be adding to this, and we’ll email alumnae in your area if someone lets us know they’re hosting a gathering.
- Click here if you fancy organising a gathering yourself to watch some of TEDxNewnham (on the day or after the videos are published on the TEDx website) and would like to know more.
- We are thrilled that children from the Newnham Croft Primary School coming along to show us how they embrace challenges in their Forest School lessons outdoors. You can find more information about the Forest School here.
The Wall of Women
Many of the alumnae and current students who have applied to be speakers submitted videos sharing their memories of Newnham College and the experiences and knowledge that they would love to share with the next generations of Newnhamites: you can watch these on our Wall of Women. We think the Wall of Women is an amazing testament to the extraordinary women that have called Newnham their home, and show the extraordinary possibilities of TEDxNewnham.