2018 will be the 100th anniversary of the Roll, which is a very important part of Newnham’s history. Before women were finally given membership of the University and could have degrees conferred upon them, an entry on the Roll was the only evidence that a woman had attended College. A woman’s future could hang on the fact that her details were recorded on the Roll, and to this day the College Development Director also holds the honorary title of Registrar of the Roll and takes responsibility for its upkeep.
We are delighted to be celebrating the Roll’s Centenary with an Open Day full of exciting events for alumnae, their friends and family: discussions, singing, picnics, exhibitions and, of course, a MEGA SLIDE for our younger visitors (up to 16)!
- A singing from scratch workshop in the morning
- A screening and discussion of some of the TEDxNewnham talks
- ‘Newnham Talks to Newnham’: an opportunity for Newnhamites to talk in groups about ‘making a difference’)
- A Living Library, where you can ‘borrow’ participating alumnae and hear all about their extraordinary lives
- A performance by the participants in the Singing from Scratch workshop in the morning
- A graffiti timeline where everyone can add their key Newnham moments: let’s celebrate the big, the small and the in-between!
- Exhibitions in the Library from the College’s history: find out more about Newnham in the 50s and 60s, Suffrage and Millicent Garrett Fawcett, and College during wartime
There are various ways to participate in the events: as a Book in the Living Library, a singer in the workshop and performance or a contributor in ‘Newnham Talks to Newnham’. Or if you prefer to come and watch, you can come along to ‘borrow’ the Books in the Library or hear the singing performance and have a glass of fizz! The only events that are for alumnae only are the Singing from Scratch workshop and ‘Newnham talks to Newnham’: everything else is for everyone to enjoy.
If you would like to just come along, relax in the gardens, have a picnic (either BYO or pre-booked to collect here) and play on the mega slide then you are also really welcome to do that: this really is a day for everyone, so bring your mum and dad, your partner, your granny, your kids or your friends!
You can see the timetable for the day and more details about the different events here.
You can book picnics and cream teas for you and your guests: please note that you will not be able to purchase on the day, all food orders must be pre-booked.
To book places and make payment (for Singing from Scratch, picnics and cream teas), click here.