Female graduate students are invited to participate in the Amazon Think Big Challenge for Women run in partnership with Newnham College and the University of Cambridge Judge Business School.
Newnham has joined forces with Amazon and the Wo+Men’s Leadership Centre at the Judge to give graduate students the chance to work on real life business problems to create innovative solutions.
We are looking for approximately 24 graduate students from STEM disciplines and the business school interested in a career in technology. Participants will work together in teams facilitated by an Amazon executive on a real and current business challenge facing Amazon customers.
Attendees will collectively combine technology and business ideas to craft a solution. Each team will present their recommended solution using a press release issued to Amazon executives and workshop participants.
Women who sign-up will be provided the proprietary business case and their team assignments in advance. Team members are expected to read the case, get the market information, collaborate with their team members with preliminary ideas in advance of the three hour interactive session. This session will be followed by a networking reception and dinner with Amazon executives, senior academics and participants. Amazon will follow-up with participants with a 1 on 1 Mentoring Session.
Participants will get:
- Hands-on experience on real and current transformational challenges in leading technology company
- Opportunity to collaborate with members from different disciplines (business and technology) and put to practice the lessons learned
- Get feedback and coaching from Team Amazon
- Networking with key Amazon team members
- Receive a certificate of participation
Submit your CV together with a 200 word statement on why you are interested in participating by Monday, October 9 to aws-Cambridgeemail@example.com
Application deadline: Please submit your CV together with a 200 word statement on why you are interested in participating in the Think Big
Challenge to aws-Cambridgefirstname.lastname@example.org by October 9th, 2017.
- Acceptance notification: You will be notified of the acceptance decisions on October 13th, 2017.
- Team assignment and pre-reading materials: The accepted participants will be notified of their team assignments and will be sent their assigned case by October 16, 2017. Each case will be proprietary and will focus on a real strategic problem that Amazon’s customers are currently facing. Cases will be shared in Amazon Work Docs for facilitating collaboration of teams.
- Think Big Challenge: The session will be held on October 23rd , 2017 from 3:30 pm – 6:30 pm. Each team will discuss ideas and find solutions to the problem described in the case. The discussion in each team will be facilitated by AWS team member from Amazon and team members will receive coaching around Thing Big and other Amazon Leadership Principles throughout the session. In the last 45 minutes of the session, each group will present a 10 minute Press Release on their suggested ideas followed by a 5-minute question/answer.
- Networking Dinner: The Think Big Challenge session will be followed by drinks reception at 6:45 pm where the participants will get the opportunity to network with AWS and Amazon executives and senior managers. The formal dinner will start at 7:30 pm where an Amazon presentation and Dame Carol Black Principal of Newnham College will give dinner talks and award certificate of participation.
- Follow-up with participants: An AWS team members from Amazon will be paired with a participant and have a follow up 30 minute mentoring call.