MA, MB, BChir, FRCOG, MD, MEd
Fellow and Director of Studies
- Fellow D
- Director of Studies, Clinical Medicine
- Consultant in Reproductive Medicine
- Associate Lecturer, School of Clinical Medicine
Telephone: +44 (0) 1223 217659 (sec)
Jane MacDougall was appointed as a Consultant in Obstetrics & Gynaecology at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge 23 years ago. She is a subspecialist in reproductive medicine with a special interest in paediatric & adolescent gynaecology. She was an undergraduate at Newnham College and completed her clinical training at St Thomas’s Hospital. She then trained mostly in London.
As a research fellow for Professor Howard Jacobs at the Middlesex Hospital she became interested in gynaecological endocrinology and was able to continue to develop this interest in Cambridge where she was appointed as a consultant in 1994. She was a founder member and subsequently Chair of the British Society of Paediatric & Adolescent Gynaecology.
She has considerable experience in medical education and has held a number of leadership roles in education locally, regionally and nationally, including Director of Studies in Clinical Medicine for Newnham College, College & Clinical Tutor & Director of Postgraduate Medical Education for Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
From 2003-8 she was Clinical Director for Women’s Services in Cambridge which has given her experience of management & leadership, including teambuilding, negotiation, strategic development, quality assurance, budgets and project & change management.
From 2008-2017 she was Head of School for the new Postgraduate School of Obstetrics & Gynaecology in the Eastern region and was responsible for establishing the School and quality assuring training in the region. She has established training courses for trainers regionally & nationally and chaired the Royal College of Obstetrics & Gynaecology (RCOG) faculty development committee from 2012-14. She was RCOG Faculty development lead from 2014-17. She is now Vice Chair of the RCOG Specialist training committee.
She was appointed as the Guardian of Safe working (GOSW) for Addenbrooke’s in January 2017 and is now also Chair of the Regional GOSW network. This is a new role established to provide independent oversight of working hours of doctors in training and identifies missed training opportunities for junior doctors.
She has worked overseas, mainly in Africa, training local faculty to run Emergency Obstetric Skills courses with Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
MD (Cambridge): Polycystic Ovaries and in vitro fertilization (1995) Awarded Sir Walter Langdon Brown prize
Masters in Education (research based)( 2003) Awarded A grade
Clinical research interests include paediatric & adolescent gynaecology, fertility preservation, infertility & gynaecological endocrinology.
Educational research is focused around faculty development. In 2012 she became Chair of a steering group tasked with setting up an educational research unit (ERU) for Cambridge University Health Partners (CUHP).
Some key & recent papers published in educational and medical journals:
- The development of medical teachers: an enquiry into the learning histories of 10 experienced medical teachers. MacDougall & Drummond (2005) Medical Education 39: 1213-1220.
- Commentary: Clinical networks in Paediatric & Adolescent Gynaecology. MacDougall, Creighton, Wood. BJOG 2010;117:131-3.
- Diagnosis and management of Turner Syndrome. Tan.Bk, Simpson HL, MacDougall J. 2011 Mims Women’s Health; (2).
- Androgen Insensitivity syndrome Hughes IA, Davies JD, Bunch TI, Pasterski V, Mastroyannopoulou K, MacDougall J. Lancet. 2012 Oct 20;380(9851):1419-28. doi:
- 1016/S0140-6736(12)60071-3. Epub 2012 Jun 13.
- Puberty reveals a familial disorder of sex development. Annamalai AK, Cluroe AD, Sala E, Park SM, MacDougall J, Hughes IA, Simpson HL.
- 2012 Oct;42(2):453-5.
- Undermining in Obstetrics & Gynaecology. MacDougall J, Adams E, Morris C (2013). Obstet Gynaecol & Rep Med 23 (6), 189-191.
- Severe systemic candidiasis following immunomodulation therapy in in vitro fertilisation-embryo transfer (IVF-ET). Akhanoba F, MacDougall J, Mathur R, Hassan W. BMJ Case Rep. 2014 Mar 31. Pii: bcr20132003202. Published on line. Doi: 10.1136/bcr-2013-203202.
- Pediatric & Adolescent Gynaecology in Europe: Clinical Services, Standards of care & Training. Richmond AK, Priyanka S, Mahmood T, MacDougall J, Wood PL (2015). J Pediatric. Adolesc. Gynecol pii. S1083-3188(15)00376-9. Doi. 10.1016/j.jpag.2015.11.003. jpagonline.org/article/S1083-3188(15)00376-9/abstract
- Reproductive Health in female survivors of childhood cancer. Gelson E, Prakash A, Williams D, MacDougall J (2016) The Obstetrician & Gynaecologist.