TEDxNewnham will take place on Saturday, February 17 at Newnham College.
The independently organised event, licensed by TED, will feature local voices and TED Talks videos under the theme of Embracing Challenge. The event will be hosted by award-winning journalist and Newnham alumna Julie Etchingham.
TED is a nonprofit organisation devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California almost 30 years ago, TED has grown to support its mission with multiple initiatives.
Many of these talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Newnham alumna Jane Goodall, former Newnham Principal Onora O’Neill, Bill Gates, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown.
Launched in 2009, TEDx is programme of locally organised events that bring the community together to share a TED-like experience. Some of the best talks from TEDx events have gone on to be featured on TED.com and garnered millions of views from audiences across the globe.
We have five key aims for TEDxNewnham:
• To connect the College, its Fellows, students and alumnae with each other and with the wider Newnham community.
• To celebrate the talents, experiences and ambitions of all those associated with Newnham.
• To build on the College’s legacy of outreach.
• To inspire discussion and promote change through the power of ideas to alter attitudes and lives.
• To create a resource: a searchable online archive for teaching, research, inspiration and community-building.
Speakers at TEDxNewnham include:
• Professor Dame Carol Black, Principal of Newnham College, Retirement – a false goal?
• Professor Sucheta Nadkarni, Newnham Fellow and Director of the Women’s Leadership Centre at the Cambridge Judge Business School, Does Gender Diversity Really Matter?
• Dr Jo Withers, GP and alumna, We Need to Talk About Dying
• Clare Pooley, alumna and writer, Making Sober Less Shameful
• Rod Cantril, Cambridge City Councillor, Communities in the Digital Age
• Full list
The main TEDxNewnham sponsor is JLT, one of the world’s leading providers of insurance, reinsurance and employee benefits related advice, brokerage and associated services.
More information about TEDxNewnham