BA, AM, PhD
- Associates' Research Fellow
Dr Burton, a historian of science and society in the modern Middle East, is currently the Associates’ Research Fellow at Newnham College.
She earned her BA from the University of California, Berkeley, in two subjects, biology and Middle Eastern studies. In 2017, she completed her joint PhD in History & Middle Eastern Studies from Harvard University.
Her work has been published in the journals Evolution, Comparative Studies of Society and History, Social Studies of Science, and Isis. Her first book, Genetic Crossroads: Scientists and Nationalism in the Middle East, is under contract with Stanford University Press.
- Social and cultural history of the modern Middle East
- The Middle East in global history
- Race, ethnicity, and nationalism
- History of genetics and evolutionary biology
- International scientific organizations and networks
- Science education