The Fellowship is endowed to assist women with substantial experience of research, at least and often beyond the doctoral level.
For the term of the Fellowship, Gibbs Fellows are elected Senior Members of Newnham College. We hope that Gibbs Fellows will feel part of the college community, and they are warmly welcomed to both research and social events. 2021 is Newnham’s 150th anniversary, and we anticipate a lively academic, arts and social programme that we hope you will join us for.
Fellows are entitled to a certain number of meals in College free of charge and to invite guests, to make use of the College facilities (room bookings and hire, library and archives, gym, etc.), and other benefits of a Senior Member.
Fellows are required to submit a short summary of their research within two years of the end of the funded travel. Fellows are invited to present their findings at a lecture before the annual dinner to celebrate the Gibbs Travelling Research Fellowship, to which all present and former Gibbs Fellows are invited.
Eligibility criteria (for full eligibility criteria, see the document below):
- graduate women who are or have been members of any College or Approved Foundation or Approved Society in, or University Officers in, the University of Cambridge
- research to be conducted outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and Channel Islands and normally not within an applicant’s own country of residence, if this is different
- graduate students who will have completed their PhD before taking up a Fellowship are eligible to apply
- there is no upper age limit
- preference will be given to present or former members of Newnham College if two proposals are judged to be of equal quality.
The closing date for receipt of applications for the 2020-21 Travelling Fellowship is Monday 24th February 20. For further information click here.